View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #211
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
I can just tell you what I did. I think the suspension is soft for normal humans. The compression damping is/was too harsh.

A lot of what I ride is hard pack with a dose of gravel. Most of the roads are over granite. Hitting a protruding rock or a hole where one used to live, just beat me to death. The spring compressed quickly but the cartridge tube just froze it up. In other locations where the roads/trails were soft dirt, free of rocks and consisted of a lot of whoops it was fine. There was time for the valving to react.

First I resprung the bike. Several times. Eventually I just bit the bullet and changed out the front cartridge tube. It is mostly a front end problem, but if you just change that, the bike gets a pogo effect and you begin to notice how much better the front is over the rear.

An added benefit for a respring if you are in the 180+ class is the positive effect on pavement. It will sharpen up the handling. Might even make the TKC wobbles go away.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:39 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote