View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #56
mikecbrxx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Auschwitz

Not much to mention about the trip to Auschwitz except that it was a vast improvement on road conditions as soon as I entered Poland and that I bumped into the Polish GS riders, that I had previously met in Aral, at the border crossing.

I had booked hotel Olecki using booking.com having seen good reviews and the fact it was right by the gates to camp 1. I knew I wouldn't have much time so this was ideal.

The reviews were well justified. If you find yourself out this way, I can wholeheartedly recommend this place. They have a garage to hold bikes, most staff speak English, the food is very good, the staff are very helpful, the room I got was excellent, and it is literally across the road from the entrance to Camp 1.

I got there about 3:30, having left early in order to do just that and was already walking round the camp by 4pm. There is no entrance charge if you do not join a tour group..... which is not mandatory, despite what the web says.

What follows is a photo log of my walk round the camp and I will try to give you my impression as to the experience at the end.

First, the hotel and parking

I walked over the road and into the camp.....and to the museum. Acquired a camp map (1 & 2) and then followed the recommended route around the camps.....yes, there is a prescribed route and everyone is recommended to visit Camp 1 before the newer Camp 2.

That gateway....

I originally posted many images I took while walking round Camp 1 (Auschwitz) And Camp 2 (Birkenau) but I have removed them now. There are much better photographs on the internet and I decided not to dwell on this aspect of the trip.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 07:30 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote