Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
TornadoF5 OP
Rhodesian Varungu

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
Good job !
its not easy to do
let me know if you figure out how to eliminate the flaws on the carbon under glass look doing a wet layup. Some come out better than others I recently made some low carbon screens and I spend hours and hours and hours trying to make them perfect and its just not worth selling them 15-20 hours in repairing bubbles and polishing, $50 in materials. At $180 each I end up making about $5 an hour after all the finish work and it still isnt perfect
I have been using the most expensive west systems epoxy, mixing carefully to avoid bubbles, 4 layers of carbon, vaccuum bagging etc . I tried making a better mold today and it failed . I will keep trying until I get it but I should just give up

buyers are particualar and they want absolute perfection like a vac machine produced stock acrylic screen
DTD you are 100% correct. The first guy I used stuffed up 4 CF screens and it cost me an arm and a leg. I have a new manufacturer at the moment and he has one on the build as we speak, so I'm looking forward to seeing his work as he has a good rep. It is easy to go cheaper with the product doing it yourself, but the reality is as you say, to turn out a near perfect screen is difficult and they guys are VERY particular. I can now understand why the prices are so high, where previously I thought it was just a rip-off!