View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
I haven't picked it up yet (it's in safe hands, and the garage needs a little re-shuffle.) I'm becoming pretty excited. Couple of questions.

1: What can I reasonably expect for range? It has the stock tank. The rear fender/light sub frame looks like it will accept a Rotopax mount, so I will probably stick an extra gallon on it. It doesn't look like the available replacement tanks are much of an advantage.

2. It's plated, but not strictly legal. I've been looking at the same Tusk kit that made my DRZ400E compliant. What's there for stator capacity? Vermont really likes a high and low beam on plated bikes, so I'll likely replace the headlight. It's my only concern. Horn, LED signals and the lot can be run off of a total loss aux battery. It's not a bike that's going to go cross-country.

3. I really want to set this bike up for low-end grunt. I have two dual-sports of varying intensity. The KLR is frankly a bitch when the going gets technical because of the weight. In sand, it's a nightmare. I'd take it cross-country in a heartbeat, however. It's my do-everything to some degree bike. The DRZ is much more worthy on the hairy stuff, but wearing for a long day which includes pavement. That being said, it'll do 300 mile days without complaint, in reasonable comfort, and will hold camping gear. I see the purpose of the KDX as giving me a big grin within 150 miles of home. I'd still like to be able to pack the necessaries on it -- warm stuff, rain gear, a little extra fuel. Any set-up advice would be greatly appreciated.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 01:12 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote