View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #95
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
And a damn fine tour it is too....wife and I did the Bourbon Trail a month or two ago. Took a leisurely 3 days and enjoyed it a lot. Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark were killer for sure. The surprise was Heaven Hill...not a name I normally associate with fine bourbon. Come to find out, they market over 60 brands (Rip Van Winkle being one of them I think). At the end of their tour you are served two bourbons....one of which was an 18 yr. old single barrel Evan Williams! A pleasant surprise that was. really. tasty. There are 6 official distilleries on the Bourbon Trail...all basically within the triangle formed by Louisville, Lexington and Elizabethtown. Lots of pretty horse country and old towns. It was a fun way to squander a couple of days...and the wife was happy. There is a lot to be said for bourbon and strange motel rooms
Van Winkle Reserve comes out of the Buffalo Trace distillery over in Frankfort, $60 a shot if you can find it at your local tavern. so, if you happen to see someone, maybe an Ivy League fella by the school tie, and notoriously dull in conversation as well as all things South, attempt to make a "cocktail" using Van Winkle Reserve, just remind him he's standing in Kentucky...certain crimes are still a hangin' offense.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote