View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
After deciding not to camp at the state park ($55 for the 3 of us for a night!?!) we searched high and low in Benbow and Garberville for some primitive camping. Gassing up we saw another group of riders across the street. Riding a mix of dirt bikes and cruisers, clad in flanel with gear strapped to the bars or wherever it could be they were stopped for a break. Bernie rode over to ask about a place to pitch a tent while Shawn and I waited. No dice.
Later I found out one of those kids on the cruisers was a buddy from college on a weekend trip - small world!

Anyway, we rode around for probably an hour or so trying to find a place to camp. Dirt roads, dead ends, everything. Eventually we found a pretty boss spot :)

Dusk was approaching by the time we made camp, and I ate an avocado by the light of the stove as I cooked a can of soup. Camp was in a riverbed made up of very loose river rock. Driving through it was a pain, but we managed to find a few soft spots for the tents. Realizing nobody brought provisions for a bear bag, we made an offering out of all the food we had a good distance from the tents. Fortunately all we had was a few avocados and some empty soup cans.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 02:21 PM
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote