View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #45
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Gotta' Love the big DR650!

Quote:
DR650 Maintenance schedule according to ass river to follow........ I would love to show a flow of change, but to lazy to look for pics from 2009 till now. Sorry, here's how it went. For those interested.....

March 2009 purchased a new XT250, 3 months later came the purchase of a brand spanking new 2009 DR650SE. This is where I begin an adventure of the most amazing bike I will ever own. The XT sits from then on and the DR gets some farkling. In the end I think the farkles have out priced the cost of the bike. That's OK though, my next bike is guess what! Another DR. Hee Hee

So fast forward 3 years and we have a very expensive 2009 DR650SE with 74464 miles on the odo. Now bear in mind these are my first bikes and I don't know jack shit about maintenance... so in this time frame we have had 8 oil changes, 22 rear tires and 12 front tires. I have done absolutely nothing recommended by the Dr650 folks on the Dr650 thread. Never had a gasket changed and only had one mishap with rear wheel bearings. Actually cush hub bearings, but replaced all rear wheel bearings at the time. Had to purchase a new cush drive as well. I know it's a lot of tires, but if you ride with me you'll understand. I've replaced the chain once, had the shocks replaced with something better than the total shit that comes with the bike. This was done when I replaced the chain and noticed it had rubbed a .5 inch gap in the swing arm. Still to date probably need to have that swing arm fixed. 40000 miles later though and no problems with it. And the chain could probably last another 10k I figure. I put in a little fuel filter in line. Does that count as maintenance? Well, that's it. I did the 8th oil change after this trip and did notice a lot of fine metal powder in the oil. Oh well, probably normal. I expect to get 100000 prior to the next one.

Now comes my opinion on maintenance. This has no real experience in it, except what has happened to me on my DR. I feel people are wrenching too much on their bikes. Put gas in it, turn the key on hit the start button on hold on. Well, hold on once you replace the carb and exhaust. Replace the tires as needed, for me every 2 weeks in the summer. Change the oil when you can't see the shiny metal at the back of the oil window. That's it. Leave the rest to chance...........And wear sunscreen! Everybody's free! Or so it goes

John,

Thanks for the reply! I haved owned many different bikes, but like you, I love the big DR650. It's always good to read reports of high milage machines, but 75,000 miles of off-road riding in three years, with minimal maintenence and very few problems, has gotta' be a record of some kind.

Hopefully my current DR650 turns out to be as reliable as yours.

The ride report and photos that you guys have put together is great!

Ride Safe,

Taz

TaZ9 screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 04:18 PM Reason: quote tags
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote