View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 180
So.. all the bickering aside.. I have a question. First a little background.

Right now I own a DL650, DR650, and a KTM 450 EXC.

I take the DL on long rides and use it like a pickup truck around town. Most of the time it sees street duty but I do get some of the occasional forest service and dirt road miles on it.

I take my DR on long DS rides. It is nicely setup for me. I took it this year on a 1900 mile trip on the TaT from TN to Mississippi Hill Country and back. Enjoy riding the bike - loaded and unloaded.

Picked up my KTM 450 EXC on a trade for a VFR750 that was going to land me in jail some day.... just could not keep that thing under the speed limit. Had to do a little work on the KTM and it was a bit frustrating at first, mainly because I have not owned one before, but I really like how they build the bike and how you can pretty much use one wrench to take it apart. Right now I would take my KTM out on DS rides where we are usually camping in one spot and exploring the area. I would trailer it to the spot since the maintenance intervals are short and I don't want to waste the hours on the highway getting to where we are riding. That and I don't think I can use it like a pack mule in the same manner that I use the DR on the long DS rides. Been thinking about doing an easy enduro on it but the last time I did one of those was over 30 years ago so I am still thinking about it.

Now to the question...

I have found that with three bikes I just do not get around to riding them all enough and usually one sits for long periods of time which usually means I end up performing some additional work on one or another at times. So I have been thinking about picking up the WRR and selling the DR and KTM. I do not consider myself a hard core aggressive rider but I have been known to roost a few people. I am 6' tall and weigh 250.

Do you think that the WRR will be enough bike to haul my big but down the highway like my DR650 does when I am riding to a weekend DS ride?

Personally I struggle with the whole trailer the bike thing.. I mean I bought them to ride right. Thoughts?
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote