View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #40
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
24 August 2012
--------------
I left Indonesia about a month ago to take care of some things at home. Now in Bangkok, updating all the past and procrastinating about going back.
There may be a darker, more cynical and sarcastic tone to the updates. It was a long time coming but basically we've just reached a point where we stopped caring about trying to be nice. There was a large part of Indonesia where we just hated how we were treated and wouldn't even want to leave our hotel to find dinner. Will detail that later.

I'm sure it all sounds rather mean spirited. Don't get me wrong, some (most) of the people are absolutely fantastic and normal. We just encountered too many of the kind that weren't and it's left a strong impression. I held it back for awhile out of some sort of white colonial guilt and fear of being a "bad tourist" but I finally discussed with some travelers who had similar experiences so now I'm just going to be direct.

I've ridden rural Vietnam, Thailand, and a few other "we don't see many foreigners" kind of places. I know what normal behavior looks like in those scenarios. Everything was fine on Java and Bali and then BAM! What we've been experiencing is WAY out of whack with anything I've seen before.

bokad screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 02:24 AM
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote