View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #18
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Yesterday we left the Crescent City best western (and its broken ac) behind and headed for Oregon. Our next spot would be Florence, OR. We went in and out of some fog as HWY-1 wound it's way to and from the coast. Crossing the border shortly thereafter, we continued north.

The roads on the way were amazing and ranged from long, sweeping coastal roads to inland forest roads. It's incredible how nice the Oregon coastline is. For someone like me that is from Florida, it's hard to imagine so much nice UN-DEVELOPED land. Along the way we saw some not so natural wonders, like this also.....

We stopped for lunch in Port Orford at a place called Redfish. Yeah I know it's not exactly roughing it, but the bikes DO always look good pulling up to a place like this. Lunch was awesome. Salmon tacos and a lamb burger. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the food before I stuff my face with it. I'll try and do better from here on out.

The theme for the day was definitely, WIND and food. A steady 20-30 mph wind at that. Doesn't make for the most relaxing ride, but it's still better than NOT being there to fight through it!! At one point we pulled off the road and down to a lighthouse we wanted to see only to get there and find a gate closed and someone's (not-so-nice) grandmother there guarding it. She was a volunteer and had a snazzy patch that said 4,000 hours. I'd hate to see the job the new person gets. Anyway, she didn't let us get any further than that gate so the best we cold do were these pictures

Might have been a good thing because had we been there any longer we AND the bikes might have been blown over. Actually, when the lady came out of her car to tell us to basically turn around, her hat went flying off her head and quickly tumbled over the adjacent cliff. Karma is a bitch. Should have been nicer lady. I don't care whose grandmother you are ;)

The rest of the way was pretty straightforward. The weather had quickly cleared up after the morning fog and ranged between 55 and 65 degrees, depending on whether we were along the coast or inland. Other than wind, the weather was great.........(cont.)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles

GP1152 screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 05:50 PM
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote