View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
HoosierTrailmaster OP
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,385
Ride the Rug III October 13,2012

CHANGE OF DATE!

Big-E asked for it...he gets it. Ride the Rug V.3. This is a tough sombich with steep descents and climbs. Rocky with steps and baby heads. Ask me why? Because it is beautiful and tests your mettle. This is an out and back with no gas or water. Probably no more than 60 miles but it usually is an all day affair. If you get to the other side (Klondyke) and you feel you won't make the ride back you can ride to Wilcox or Globe and make it a 180 mile round trip. Be prepared with water, tools, lunch and a well maintained bike.

I will post deeper details shortly, just wanted to get it on people's calendars. The ride starts and finishes in Mammoth, AZ which is off State Route 77.

Note: I have heard people say they did this on a KLR 650 and would be pleased to buy dinner for ANYONE who completes this on such a bike.

RIDE: RUG ROAD OUT OF MAMMOTH, AZ
DATE: November 11, 2012
DIFFICULTY: Got to give this one 4 out of 5. Rocky, steep, no water, no gas. Absolutely worth it from a scenic and challenge standpoint. NO BIG BIKES.
LOCATION: MAMMOTH, AZ, SR 77 Approximately 45 miles from Tucson and 90 miles from Phoenix
STAGING AREA: Lions Club gun range on Copper Creek Road. Once into Mammoth take Main Street to the river, go East over the river which runs into River Road. Copper Creek Road is just across the road. Go approximately 1/4 mile to the gun range.
TIMES: Kickstands up at 9AM.

PM me is you need any other info.

Here is a small (and I mean small) of the type trail this is. It really is a great ride.

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 05:02 PM
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote