View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
After arranging Mexican bike insurance and full of self confidence and false bravado I crossed the border. Heavily guarded, they asked to see my passport, asked a couple of questions and kicked me out the other side into Mexico. Simple, now to head down the highway to Allende to clear customs and immigration.

Even the small towns have impressive entrances

All the information books say Aduana and Migracion are in Allende, I guess nobody has ever immigrated there because nobody knew where they were. After riding around this small town for what seemed to be an hour with the military suspiciously watching me everytime I drove by I gave up and not knowing what else to do headed out of town,5 kms out there they were, a huge structure across the highway with a huge sign saying Aduana y Migracion stopping and inspecting traffic in both directions

The dreaded aduana and migracion

Half an hour and some laughs later and I was officially in Mexico

Stayed in Monclova for the night but that was just to get out of the rain

It's hard to understand how harsh the desert is until you see it

Anxious to keep moving I rode late and left early for a few days so finally decided to stop in the little town of Parras, famous for it's wines and chapel

arroyos cutting right through Parras

Centro

The town is celebrating it's 414 birthday

Thought the wall of the daycare was cute and since Winnie the Pooh has a Canadian connection added this picture

The mariachi dummies were playing their hearts out

Hotel in Parras

Morning I left I had to convince the caretaker, who was really helpful, to have his picture taken

but once one was taken he was more than eager

it was a little overcast when I left for Durango but there were times it really didn't look good

There are farms dotted across the desert and they seem to be succesful

Next: I arrive in Durango and am surprised

Slowphil screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 01:41 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote