View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
28 June 2012
--------------
Kupang to Soe, Timor

We submitted our visa request to the East Timor embassy in Kupang and headed up the road to Soe to kill a few days while it was processed. Soe is a mountain resort kind of town with lots of traditional villages in the area. It's cccccold up there! But once we get out of Kupang traffic (F you smoke screen dump truck!) the road is nice, smooth, and mostly empty.

There was only one real incident. In general I've gotten used to people acting like complete retards around us. It's like they see us and bodily control goes in to some kind of brain bypass mode. But every so often some asshat really outdoes the rest. It's common for people to shout at us as we drive past to try and get us to stop, flag us down, or to box us in on the road so they can stare or take pictures or whatever. At first I would stop because I thought they wanted to warn us about some road danger ahead or something falling off the bike, etc... But actually they were just idiots that wanted to whoop whoop alot and wanted you to pull over so they could make noises and bounce around. Anyway...this one guy with a kid on the back of his scooter on the way to Soe is really persistent. He starts by tailgating us. Then speeds up to pass before slowing down in front of us and boxing us in. I'm having none of it, I'm pressing forward. So he starts to riding beside us, dangerously close so I don't have room to maneuver. He's making some funny hand signals and I'm just ignoring them. Damn he's persistent. This has been going on for 15 minutes now. Finally he gets the idea to try and run us off the road, start at our front quarter and gradually squeeze us over to the edge. I escape it the first few times but on the third try he's extra pushy, there's no room to maneuver and its either pull over or ram him. So I pull over, thinking "wow, this must be really important for him to endanger our safety and his own, I hope everything is ok". He runs over to us gesticulating wildly. "Photo photo photo photo photo". It's so hard not to punch this smiling idiot in the face. It wouldn't do any good though, he wouldn't understand why I'd done it. To him there's nothing wrong with running someone off the road to take a picture.

I'm sure I sound like a dick. We've been run off the road before with larger vehicles but it was always an 'accident'. They were busy staring at us instead of paying attention to the road. But for someone to do it on purpose? To put us in danger for a petty picture? Could I have pulled over earlier, sure. But it happens so often. If we pulled over everytime someone flagged us down, we'd never get anywhere.

Pleasant path from Kupang to Soe.

Asshat!
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote