View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #36
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Good job. That looks very familiar Many dont understand the cost involved in doing Good CF work, Its tough even for a seasoned vet to get everything perfect.
+1
I can attest to that
I made 8 of the short aerodynamic CF screens at $195usd shipped to the cont USA . I havent considered making a tall one yet because I know taller will cause more turbulence, block view and be in the way off road, if you hit that thing it will hurt, especially if it hits your neck. I ride off road a lot and the tall screen is scary. But some might like tall

I spent about 20-30 hrs casting and finishing +$40 each in the highest quality materials + $20 shipping , and that is not accounting costs like abrasives, vacuum bagging supplies and transportation to find materials at retail . that works out to about $6 an hour profit. I would like to continue the hobby but I am stuck at cost to finish

its damn near impossible to get a perfect carbon under glass finish,
Structural integrity wont matter as much , people want cosmetic appeal, fit and finish is everything and I am not a perfectionist so its ectra hard

one or two little bubbles or a distrtion in fabric that can be seen on close inspection and a customer will be displeased, luckily we have ADVrider customers
I would need to charge $400 to even get close to making it worthwile unless I can improve production by some miracle . Gelcoat polyester fiberglass would be simple to finish but will not have the same structural strength, flexibility and lightweight as the 4 layers of carbon and flexible epoxy that I have been producing

Dustodust screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 09:00 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote