View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #46
JimRidesThis OP
Local celebrity

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I working right along beside you, probly at a slower pace though over in the main XL thread.
Pete
Nice one Pete, I'll have a look for your thread... and keep up!

Project XL Update

Randy Crawford might well get all gloomy about A Rainy Night in Georgia, but it's been p!ssing down here for ages. I guess you don't get The Lake District without lakes, and you don't get lakes without rain, lots of rain. Fortunately for my XL project, this has meant I've had an afternoon in the workshop.

With the bottom-end at a stand still (not a euphemism... I hope ) it's time to have a look at the rocker cover, head, valves and so on.

Stripping out the rocker cover has thrown up a couple of issues...

No.1 – I haven't got the exhaust valve sub-rocker shafts out. Yet. The inlets were a very tight fit the took some force to 'crack'. The exhaust ones have defeated my efforts so far but it's not the end of the world if I can't get them out.
No. 2 – I can't get the peg out to release the kickstart operated decompressor shaft/lever. Again, it's not a huge stumbling block.

Next, the cylinder head.

The four of the five sub-chamber bolts were little more than finger tight . I guess it lowers the compression that little bit more eh!

Inlet manifold off

Next job is remove the valves. Now, where did I leave my valve spring compresssor?

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"

JimRidesThis screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 01:27 PM
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote