View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
cavebiker OP
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb

Flying west into South Dakota is enjoyable as always with the speed limit rising from 55 to 65 MPH on the state and county roads. All is good until I hit a couple towns without gas. I know I am not going to make it to the Missouri River without running out of fuel, so south to I90 where there Will be fuel. I coast along at 50 MPH for what seemed like forever paying attention not to use any unnecessary throttle or fuel.

I pass a motorcycle couple on the side of the road. I gave the Ďwhatís upí sigh with palms facing up. The woman returns the gesture so I know they are in trouble and probably are out of gas, like I am about to become. I cannot help them and I donít want to use any unnecessary gas stopping. But I will return with some gas, Iím only ten miles or so before, that is, if I donít run out first.

As I coast into a little freeway city on fumes. My tank is a 4.3 gallon thing I bought on Ebay, I put 4.64 gallons in the tank, a record. I empty a water jug to use for gas to bring back to the couple. Thatís the yellow stuff the jug in the photo.

About half way back I see the couple riding at me, they must have had someone else bringing them gas. All is good, I will use this gas eventually, plus I want to go back to the Missouri river. I94 is packed with RVs, SUVs pulling trailers and motorcycles. I see almost no traffic on the roads I have been taking, just the way I like it.

The gravel back roads in SD are great for riding and sightseeing.

Old abandoned farmhouses are fun to photograph. I always think that looking at the image will eventually tell an interesting story.

What is the deal with the school buses?

While taking photos a local stops to chit-chat. He is a young guy, maybe late twentys and says he has lived here is whole life and how he enjoys it. I rave about the scenery and beauty of the land here. He is a pleasure to talk with.

Hang-on, more comingÖ

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote