View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Petrolia is quite remote with only two roads leading into town. We stopped at the only store to pick up some food - and to my surprise they had quite a selection of home made dried fruits and baked goods. We grabbed a quick snack and chatted with the cashier about the area. She was from back East, and when asked "so what brings you here?" she simply replied by waving her hands around in a "just look around you" gesture.

We asked about heading to the coast and she said we shouldn't miss it - off we went. The road followed the Mattole river - one of a few undammed rivers left in the country - past a few small farms and then turning to a dusty dirt road that brought us to the ocean.

Barely a cloud in the sky, the ocean was just so BLUE! A cloud bank miles off shore obscured the horizon making the transition from ocean to sky hard to find. Despite the chilly Westerly wind, the bright sun kept us warm as we walked along soaking in the beauty.

On a map in the parking area I spotted a road a few miles away labeled "4WD REQUIRED". Perfect. We saddled up and rode up onto the bluff looking for the road.

Climb Climb

My Desk

We raced up the rough dirt road, passing through the low grass and clover of an old farm. Curving up into a wooded area, I spotted the road we were looking for. Let's see where it goes :)

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote