View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Nice in the winter. Bad in the summer?

Personally, needing my legs to be warmer or drier has never been an issue for me. I mean, if it's wet out, I'm wearing waterproof gear, so I don't need my gas tank to keep my legs dry . If it's cold out, my legs are the last thing I worry about warming up. I have Widder Lectric chaps for when it's THAT cold, but the reality is I almost never wear them. Normally, the coldest conditions only require warm socks and long johns and my Lectric vest - maybe with the arm chaps.

Don't get me wrong. Would I like to have more fuel capacity? Sure. But do I NEED it. No. It seems like most of the reasons people always give for why somebody should get a GSA isntead of a GS are really just lame rationalizations - which do not make up for the extra 40+ pounds of weight. I don't see how it's better for taller people. The seat to peg distance is the same, right? The stock GSA windscreen and winglets give better wind protection than the stock GS screen, but that is easily and cheaply fixed without spending all the extra money for a GSA and then having all the extra weight to deal with. And even the extra ground clearance seems like more of a poser thing. If you're serious enough about offroading a GS to need that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you're probably going to put on aftermarket suspension anyway, at which point the advantage of the stock GSA is moot.
If you ever take your show on the road to less developed countries you will learn to appreciate a bike with an over 300 mile range every day you ride it.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote