View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto View Post
Shipping them back to me would be pretty much the same cost as the actual job. I just don't have that kind of funds available.

If the "alternate" shipping method fails, I'll get the biggest pair of springs that don't required modifications, and run with that. It won't be the best option but it would be an improvement to the present setup.

Thing is ... since i can't find anything remotely resembling a suspension tuner locally (most "tuning" involves switching to progressive springs and using thicker fork oil), i can't do the test/modify/test again procedure so i would prefer to get the forks to someone with a lot of experience, kind of a one-shot deal. We'll see if that works out.

Thank you, Alex
Hi Alex,

A lot of this thread is way above my knowledge of how forks REALLY work, however I've been in the same boat as you, so researched this a fair amount.

By all accounts 0.64 springs are as strong as you can go without re-valving the forks. You'll end up with preload about halfway in, and rebound on the max.

0.64 is what I've decided on. I'm 240lbs with kit on the bike, hoping to be less, but that's what it is right now. I ride aggressively, and I always though heavy on the forks, however borrowing other bikes and talking to some suspension tuners it turns out that I'm not actually heavy on the front, I just like to feel what the front wheel is doing, and don't mind a bit of front wheel slip.

Not that this really helps you, but the fact of not needing a revalve tipped the balance for me. As an above post said, air pressure is also a factor; oil level, etc..

I've put an order in for the 0.64's with KTMTwins in the states - as of two days ago they only have 3 remaining sets of 0.64s in stock. They'll order more obviously, but it'll take a month or so.

If you like I am in Miami from 18th Sept to 6th Oct, so can bring some back for you and send them on (ordered mine delivered to Miami). PM me if you like.
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote