View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #112
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,242
Well boys and girls it's that time of the year again..RACING time !!! The first HS of the year was cancelled due to the very wet summer we've had down here (sorry to the rest of the drought stricken country). That means the first enduro of the year is on deck and they happen to be offering a Jr. enduro on Sat. I figured Haley needed the seat time and the format was something she'd never done before so off we went. I also brought along 2 young brothers who's dad is a close friend of mine and suffering the end stages of ALS. The chance for the boys to get out and ride their new 85cc bikes (Just coming off 65's..both "A" riders) was too good to pass up.
The format was presented just like an enduro. The 13 kids who showed up all had row assignments (grouped by bike size/age). First row left at the key time of 9:01 (Really 1pm in the afternoon) and 1/2 way through the 18 mile loop there was a check point to get scored at.

Row 4 anxiously waiting their minute

Haley was looking forward to using her newly installed rekluse in the more technical stuff and not using the clutch lever

The Tolken boys raring to go.

and they're off! I told Haley the main goal was just to finish. The big bikes were doing 2 loops (36 mi total) so she would hopefully have a break between them. Myself and 2 other guys gave them a several minute head start then took off to ride "sweep" which was a blast. I eventually caught up to Haley. Not long after starting to follow her she stopped and yelled " Quit following me!!!! You're making me nervous!" which I understood so I started giving her a head start then running her down. After the first loop she ended up having 15 minutes to eat something and get ready for the 2nd loop.
Despite being wore out soon she was up on the line again ready for the 2nd loop. She was running about 7 minutes overall slower for the 2nd loop but did manage to finish the whole 36 !!! A great sense of satisfaction was taken home along with a nice plaque for 4th place!!! She was the only girl there for the Jr event one of only 2 women to compete over the course of the weekend so cudos to competing against the boys. The Tolken boys did well and Josh was only 4 points away from hi-point for the event!

Haley loved the rekluse and after a sore butt for several days I've got a EE soft seat ordered for her bike
I'll be competing in the 59th annual Little brown jug enduro this weekend (Greenville,SC) so looking forward to some clay and no sand!

Tbone screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 06:12 AM
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote