View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #60
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Day Seven: The Oregon Trail

We got up early to get a good start on the day and damn it was cold. It was even worse when we got on rt 199 and headed up into the mountains at 70. I was thankful for heated grips as I watched the temperature drop into the high 40's - and thought Shawn must be struggling a bit without them.

By the time we reached Gasquet it was in the low 40's and Shawn had his left hand clamped to the cylinder head. I knew it would warm up when put the mountains behind us so I pushed on without stopping to put on more gear. The highway was a great ride, but it was hard to enjoy it in the cold.

It finally warmed up when we reached O'Brian, Oregon and our pace became more relaxed as we warmed up in the sun. The landscape clearly changed ahead of us as we headed towards the Eastern side of the mountain range.

Riding up Rt 62, I spotted a little detour that turned out to be a great little ride - taking Butte Falls Road to Crowfoot road. It spit us back out on the Crater Lake Highway after enjoying a bit of the volcanic landscape.

Then, we hit the dirt.

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote