View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #64
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Braaap Braaaaaaap Braap Brappp

I hit somewhere around 70 before settling into the long straightaway, dust billowing out behind me in a giant cloud. The road was pretty loose but just sooo straight I couldn't resist going at a good clip. I stopped at an intersection to snap some photos, Bernie rolling up first and Shawn staying clear of the dust way back.

The road surface changed to a nice finer gravel, and we began to climb again.

Smooth sailing for a bit, we switchbacked up into the mountains gaining some elevation and feeling the temperature drop. The road got noticeably rougher turning from gravel to dirt as I rounded a corner to find snow blocking our path. Two fairly deep sections stood in our way and the atomic mosquitoes descended upon me while I scouted ahead on foot.

I couldn't see any further blocks ahead, so we went for it.

We got through without much drama

and began to descend again without worry of more snow. The dust was horrendous but Bernie braved it and stayed close, at intersections we would wait for Shawn who was keeping his go-pro clean.

We'd hear him coming and keep moving forward, gravel giving way to lots of sand here.

When things got a little nasty, Shawn and the DRZ tractor took the lead.

He found a way through the mud hole, then we followed without too much trouble.

So much dust, so much sand. We had to be careful here as that front tire doesn't float at highway pressure.

We popped out of the woods at Crescent Lake and decided to get gas and take a break.

Redbull and clif bars again

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote