View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #102
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,188
AUGUST 2012: THE GEORGE DUBYA

Saturday, August 25, 197
miles

The bike was prepped and packed, sitting outside, nose pointed the right direction, but rain had been pounding on the roof since 5AM, not just a little either. This was a full blown gale, the day was a lady dressed in funeral black, not a hint of comfort, not a hint of light anywhere. I was headed west to a Catherder campout in the Shenandoah, 200 miles, sorry ain’t going to fire up the rat in a 2” an hour rain and 40MPH winds, might get a sniffle.

Weather radar was up, no breaks, but I could afford some time to wait it out, miss the group ride, and still make the party later. Hold that thought, rain coming down sideways, phone rings, now I had a meeting at the office for 5PM…the other party might be as early as 4:30. Do the math, that schedule had me crossing the mountain around 10PM, won’t work, and I unpacked the bike, no campout for me.

Instead, I was now riding to Winchester for a birthday party, might see some Catherders Sunday. Switched some things to a tail bag, over to the office just as the rain quits, ready for my meeting.

The early meeting time came and went, so I was on the phone at 5 just to see if the guy was getting close, might be able to run the first hundred miles in daylight. “I’m running a little late”, and when he described where he was, some snail slow back road route, I realized I was looking at a 6:30 meeting on Saturday night, the reward for be accommodating. I hate late.

Hour and a half to kill, checked the TV radar, clearing to the west a little, good, and when I walked back outside it was raining again, threatening clouds scudding across the sky from the southwest.

I had never noticed that my business neighbor’s repeater tower was not plumb until I tried to get a good cloud photo, at least I’m not in the catastrophic failure fall zone, about the only bright spot today. No, the bright spot was that I didn’t have a 9mm CC with me, might have shot some fool for being two hours late. Not really, probably quit after a few near miss shots, no blood, but I was getting more agitated by the second, and started checking around the shop for that spare axe handle, another fifteen minutes, then I was looking for a chainsaw.

“Sorry I’m late”, ya ya, don’t worry about it, because this was going to be a short meeting, our first, last, and only, thanks, goodbye, have a good trip home, and I locked up the office at 7 freakin’ PM. I never bothered to give him a business card, sorry, if ya happened to look like Johnny Cash having a damn bad day and had a cranial cavity filled with swamp water, we ain’t likely to be doin’ any bidness. All in all, it was one of those cluster things, a heck of a way to start a trip, even a short one.

(to be continued...)
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote