View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #770
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Is HDPE strong, no. Is it strong enough in this application, I think yes.

With HDPE side plates I think the gear will be more survivable in a side impact.

Might not be for everyone, but I'm going to look at it more.
+1 great job anti

The reason I mentioned this a few pages back was partly in response to the comment about the placement of equipment (the picture of Jonah's setup) is sometimes placed in a pretty sketchy place. Were a rider to crash and hit the nav equipment my thought was that a HDPE style tower would be better.

Ok, some thoughts.

Is it more resistant to vibration, I believe so.

For me, is it easier to work with in my shed, yes.

Hence is it easier for me to prototype parts, yes.

Can I get it for free, yes (in small sizes but thats enough). Alloy, no chance. (but if someone in Melbourne can let me know where, happy to be proven wrong on this).

I had heard of the problem with UV, and considering I'm based in Australia UV is an issue but after talking to the supplier (where I grab stuff out of their off-cuts bin) he didn't believe it was really an issue and he seemed to have a reasonable idea about what I was planning on using it for. Hence I accepted his knowledge about it.

I'm honestly stoked that someone with more resources than me has made one . I reckon it looks great and from their first ride seems to function well.

If in the end it doesn't work out then I'll just use it to prototype parts.

I reckon its a great way to go, I'll be doing something similar. (when to 2 projects I have are done-ish) hehe

tileman screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 11:54 PM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote