View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #52
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,011
August 30

Sunrise over the Rocks from my campsite.

Decided to do some back roads, stopped at the Macksville Mart for gas and a sammich to go. Friendly lady clued me in for some potential fun roads that branched off 33 north of Seneca Rocks. First was Brushy Run Just a few miles before a locked gate with a road closed sign. Should have known by the grass growing in the road.

Roaring creek was nice mostly paved, now I'm just seeing "where this road goes to", got a little too rocky so I turned around and headed back to Smith Mtn Rd. My atlas showed it a through road coming out not too far from Dolly Sods. This was a new ADV for me, crossed several open gates with no trespassing signs. 12 miles in I came upon a closed gate, old car up on its side wityh the drive train removed. I considered turning around but the road was rough and it appeared I was right at the halfway point of coming back out to pavement. I thought maybe its not locked, sure enough just a hasp and chain. Continued through and closed the gate behind me. Coming around a bend I realized why the gate was closed, open grazing for livestock. Came upon another closed gate then thought why didn't I take pics ? O well came out onto 28 and to Dolly Sods I headed.

Rode the hole of smoke after DS, seen a bear in the road, not quite full grown but not a cub. Always wary of Momma bear I was unable to get a pic quick enough. First bear sighting for me in WV. I had just seen one in NC on my birthday July 25 in Little Switzerland.

From Upper Tract,WV I ran a little CR past the fish hatchery that comes out on 33. Then as Germany Valley came into site I headed down into the valley to explore a little more of the roads I hit the first night.

Stopped back at camp and ate my lunch.

steveb126 screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 05:55 AM
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote