View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3083
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post

OK, I have some performance related questions on my 2002 R1150GS. It has 42k miles and the valves were adjusted and TB sync done at 38k miles, along with an oil change. I put new Autolite 3923 plugs (.035 gap) in 1k miles ago.

1) It's hard starting when cold. It takes at least two 4 second cranks to get started, and sometimes three or four attempts. Once warm, it fires right up. What might be the cause of this?
That type of difficulty in cold starting usually indicates some sort of problem with your bike.

2) After a cold start, I usually let it warm up to one, sometimes two bars. Invariably, the first time I accelerate on to the road, it stumbles and lags for a second, then "catches" and off we go. It does not do this when warm. Ideas on this? Is it related to #1?
Typically a warmup isn't required to prevent a "severe stumble" when wicking up the throttle during cold drive-off.

3) I have the typical low RPM surge. I've played around with different configurations, including factory CCP, Steptoe jumper, no CCP, connected O2 sensor and disconnected O2 sensor. Right now, I'm running no CCP and the O2 sensor is disconnected, but it doesn't seem to help. I reset the Motronic by pulling the fuse for 5+ minutes, between each change. After I put the 3923 plugs in, it seemed to help some.

Other than these things, it runs great. Mileage, on E10, is between 36 and 41 MPG. Often, I'm fairly aggressive with the throttle, but It's better on the highway (as I would expect) I haven't been able to correlate a mileage difference with the various CCP/O2 combinations I've tried. Overall, the mileage seems a bit on the low side.

Lastly, if I roll off the throttle quickly, it decelerates hard. I believe this is caused by "overrun fuel cutoff." Can this be improved?

I'd love to fix the surging and increase the mileage, too. I have an Ice Air on order - will it help with any of the above issues?
You have some good questions, EK. My comments above appear in orange. The severity of the startup and drive-off problems you describe seem to indicate a problem with the bike.

As to your other questions, on a bike that cold starts normally, here's what you can expect from the IICE products:

Throttle response and acceleration: All three products, the Air, Cool, and Smooth, improve throttle response and acceleration.
Surging: The Cool is the solution to surging. Kills surging dead.
Overrun Fuel Cutoff: The Cool disengages the ECU's overrun fuel cutoff function.
Cold Starting: The Air improves cold starting.
Cold drive-off and warmup: Both the Air and Cool improve cold drive-off and warmup characteristics.

Recommended reading.
Here's a chart that describes how Fuel Injection works, and how the IICE products fit in.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post14523744

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation