View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan

Sleeping Bear Dunes, MI
Voted "Most Beautiful Place in America 2011".

I have to say that I really liked this place. Reminds me of Bar Harbor in Maine. Michigan Lake, looks and feels like the ocean. The water is unusually warm, 70F, due to a very warm summer. It's a very pleasant place. Very bike friendly and many winding roads.

There are restaurants for any taste. Iron chef Valentino has his own restaurant here, Hearth and Vine Cafe. Other popular choices are Pine Cone, Vineyard Cafe, Blu... but require a reservation. There's a wonderful stop Cherry Republic store. You can find everything cherry related there, from cherry jams to cherry salsa.

The dunes are both impressive and steep. A fall will have to tumbling head over heads down to the water:

Caribbean, isn't it?

You can spend a whole week of vacation here.

This is just the beginning of the descent. It really is impressive. People have to crawl their way back up:

I was ready to see such a gorgeous sunset:

I brought my tripod, poured some beer and waited for clear skiesbut it never happened. Towards the evening large storm clouds covered the area, I was hoping they wouldn’t bring rain with them. But it's ok, I got the inspiration I was after.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day. I mean very hard.
Cya later.
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)

freefallen screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 12:50 PM
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote