View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
We arrived at Walton Creek Campground at dusk and most of the nice sites were already taken. We kept slowly climbing the mountain road hoping to find a nice open site. The road ended at a tower (cellphone maybe) site, there were fire rings up here but we didn't like the fact that there were no trees and there was a threat of thunder storms. From here we did spot a nice circle of pines at a lower elevation. We drove down to the pines and found a nice campsite and fire ring. We set up camp in the dark. While we sere setting up camp a sheriff's car stopped on the road next to us, the deputy reminded us there was a burning ban in place.

We were sleeping by 10:30 only to be woken a few hours later by what I thought was a open pipe harley, but as the noise got closer and closer it had more than 2 cylinders barking. What ever was making that racket was on its way up the mountain. I looked out the tent window and saw the pick up truck throwing gravel and running WFO around the switchback just a few hundred feet from our site. What an asshole. They drove to the top where the tower was, stayed there for about half an hour then retreated down the mountain. There were quite a few campers in this area, I'm sure he impressed them all.

Morning shot of camp

Camp view from the tower site.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote