View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #32
frost1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
Wow! welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I'm about 5-10lbs heavier than you and the bike hauls me along at 120km/hr no problem, maybe a downshift on long steep hills. No tach with a new rider can be a pain, but go by the seat of your pants, the higher the frequency of the buzzing the higher the RPM. Once you have the bike broke in, after 300mi/500km per manual, try bouncing it off the rev limiter, while sitting on it, this will give you a good idea on the feel for the RPM when you're on the bike.

This is the smallest bike and the first enduro I've owned, plus my first EFI bike, but I've been tinkering with old Japanese bikes for a while, mainly big inline fours though. If you are mechanically inclined and handy with a wrench then the extended warranty may be overkill, I bought it, just because I have no clue how EFI works and have never frigged with it, plus it includes all oil changes for five years. Like I said if your new to motorcycling and not very handy with a wrench then the warranty is a good idea. If the dealer is friendly then ask to "observe" the maintanence when you take it in for work, this will give you and idea of how it's put together and how to deal with it. I'd recommned getting an owners manual and service manual too for torque specs, tightening sequences, etc.

BTW I'm a new ADV memebr and new CRF250L owner as well, Hi everybody.

Thank you for your reply. The owners manual recommends shifting to 6th at 37mph (60 km/h), I get up to 50mph (80 km/h) and feel like the bike is really working. I twist the throttle and it very slowly accelerates from there. I'm also concerned with winding out the motor too much. For me to hit 75 mph (120 km/h) the bike would be screaming. Is that the case? But w/o a tach I have no idea what it's doing. You mention "bouncing off the rev limiter", how do you define that? I probably do it all the time mistakenly if you mean to rev it up with the clutch in while shifting.... I need to get that under control. It feels like I'm working this bike very hard just to keep up with traffic. Not what I was expecting. But then again I have no point of comparison what so ever. So it could be me and this is how it is. Maybe more of a street tire would help. I'm dropping the extended warranty today because I may actually sell this bike in the coming months once I get my skill level up.

Thanks
frost1 is offline   Reply With Quote