View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #1697
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,092
Hi everyone - thanks for keeping this old page (and the dream) alive!

I'd hoped by this time to have a new dedicated 2013 thread up and running, unfortunately things don't always work out the way you'd planned...

Sadly this is not the announcement I wanted to be making at a point so close to the start of Dakar 2013.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to secure sufficient financial support and sponsorship to employ the services of an assistance team this year, and this greatly diminishes the prospect of a successful finish in the Dakar.

Despite retaining and gaining the support of a number of product suppliers and manufacturers, I am still significantly short of funding - and yesterday took the decision to inform ASO of my desire to defer my entry until the 2014 edition of the Dakar Rally.

As you might imagine, it is not a decision I have taken lightly, especially with an acceptance letter for 2013 sitting here on my desk. However, I feel it the most sensible option under the circumstances.

Certainly my campaign this year had always been hampered by undergoing a second leg operation [to remove the metal work], and subsequent recuperation and rehabilitation. While I am confident I am physically and mentally ready to return to the Dakar, I am aware that further and more intensive physical training can only improve my condition for a subsequent attempt.

In addition, together with significantly more time to raise funds and sponsorship, there is the prospect of a new team and bike for 2013/14 - all of which I trust will pay dividends in the long run, and that ultimately delaying my return to South America until January 2014 will give me an ever better chance of obtaining a finishers medal.*

In the interim, I hope to be racing in at least one or two more International desert rallies next season, and with the new team project, gain additional press and publicity throughout my campaign year.

It is therefore my intention to launch my 2014 Dakar campaign directly after Dakar 2013 in January next year - including the new website and web-shop, together with a program of fundraising events and show attendances. And of course, there will be a new and dedicated ADVrider thread full of juicy info! - It’s going to be an exciting year!

Once again thank you all for your continued support.

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote