View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #36
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
BMW Bing Float Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
I didn't worry about it. I just pulled the bowl, emptied it, filled the bowls using the petcock, turned off the petcock and removed the bowl. I immediately set the bowl in the level concrete in my garage, took my venier caliper and measured it. I think I just held the bowl in place while filling it...just make sure it's full seated so you get a good reading. I think it took 20 minutes to do both carbs.
Every time that I have compared results by measuring the fuel height in the bowl after setting my floats using the float horizontal dribble on/off adjustment method the fuel has been low vs. the published "ideal" height. With the 32mm Bings on the R65, R100RT and R100R I have owned/own the typical measurement has between 21mm and 22mm. For a long time I have used the fuel height in the bowl method. The picture shows the simple tool I made which makes measuring the height a cinch. It is a short piece of stiff wire (actually piece of coat hanger) with a notch at 24mm (28mm for 40mm carburetors).

R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote