View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
freefallen OP
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
Glacier National Park, Montana

Glacier National Park - Pristine forests, alpine meadows, rugged mountains, and spectacular lakes.

Glacier... the irony of it is that these glaciers will soon only be on wiki and in the memory of those who saw them as they are catastrophically melting. So hurry up and see them before it's too late.

The official site says:
In the mid 1800s the park was named for its roughly 150 glaciers, though only 25 remain today and it's estimated that all the glaciers will have melted by 2030.

The NPS site says:
Global climate change scientists predict that under the current warming trends, all of the park's glaciers will be gone by 2020, affecting habitat and survival of plants and animals throughout the park.

So, not much left.

On the way to Glacier NP. Route 89, one of my favorite routes:

The traditional sign for the entrance to the national park:

This is the first place that I saw as many bikes as cars. The bikers don't even wave at each other because you would never put your hand down.

Hidden Lake:

To get to it I walked about 2 miles uphill:

My girl in front of the mountains, to confirm the one in the foreground:

Mountain goat, looks like a male:

It's nice to sit, meditate and get energy from the mountains and the beauty:

Tunnels, bends and curves, this park got everything:

Waterfall along Going-To-The-Sun Road. While I stopped my bike, someone decided to cool off under the water:

Another lake:

Rapids:

One of the many scenic views:

Wild Goose Island:

Out of all the parks I've been so far, Glacier NP has been the most beautiful one.
I think you can agree with me the park is amazing, yes?

On the Canadian border:

Welcome to Canada!

Imagine my surprise when I checked into the hotel in Calgary, parked my bike and saw there were twin V-Strom bikes parked there already with NJ license plates. What are the odds of seeing something like this?

While I was parking my V-Strom, I was approached by one of the riders. We greeted each other and started chatting. Brian and Valerie from Australia.

They flew to America for 9 months. They bought 2 bikes in NJ, geared them out and started their cross country. Apparently it was cheaper to do this than shipping their bikes back and forth from Australia. They had already rode through the southern states to California, to Alaska and we met here in Calgary.

In two days my son arrives but for tomorrow I planned a trip to Banff and Yoho National Parks.

Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote