View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
When I left Guadalajara I headed for Toluca, I was supposed to meet Garry Dymond the next day so he could lead me into his place in Mexico City where I was going to stay for a couple of days. Well what was supposed to be an 8 hour ride turned into 12 and dark fell before I could find a hotel room, I fell back on an old favourite and hired a taxi to lead me to a hotel to get off the street

stopped for a coffee on the way to Toluca, nice little restaurant

with a small lake out back

thats it for Toluca, I didn't stay leaving early the next morning. I packed and left the hotel early to meet Garry at the BMW dealer part way between Toluca and Mexico City. Since I had to travel halfway through the city in rush hour I wanted an early start so 0830 hrs it was. Left the hotel turned right twice in 2 blocks and all of a sudden there I was doing 100kph through the heart of Toluca on the circular road. Got there a little early would be an under statement, had to wait an hour for Gerry to arrive

arriving safely at Garry and Yvonnes and immediately doing maintainance

Here's Garry doing repairs to his vstrom 1000 seat, I offered to give him a hand but was immediately rebuffed maybe he noticed me working on my own bike

next day while Gerry was at slave labour Yvonne and I went downtown, this city is overwhelming

this is the Angel Of Independence

every 16th of Sept the people gather at the statue to celebrate, apparently it's an extremely emotional thing

I'll put this picture here, these are the steps at the base of the angel, you'll notice the bottom layer looks whiter that's because Mexico City is slowly sinking, the lower steps are newer so people could get up to the statue

the buildings around the Zocolo decorated for September, the month of Independence

looking around the city there's thousands of statues and art gardens

This is one of 12 all different, along a boulavard about 3 blocks long

Slowphil screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 01:13 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote