View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
While I was downtown I heard drumming so followed my ears, this group of guys were excellent and the great thing was it looked like they were having a whale of a time doing it

I went downtown the next day because I wanted to ride the touribus around the historical section, instead t5his is what I saw

El Presidente was in town in town for his goodbye speech and all the roads leading away from the Zocolo were closed for 5 blocks

there were more Federales and military than people in town

if you want to get around Mexico City, 3 pesos and this system will do it quickly and efficiantly

went back down the next day and got my tour, a couple more pictures I don't want to bore you

a couple of the Mexica rulers

One more picture to add, in the Catedral they've suspended a huge pendulum from the center of the cupulo to show the constant movement of the earth there, because of the settlement taking place the catedral, which was built in 1690, had to be raised 21 ft to bring it back level with the street

Mexico City is a fabulous place but like all cities it has its warts, here are some illegal barrios, neighborhoods where people moved in without permission and no planning so the whole area just grows haphazardly, the reason the top of the hill isn't covered is the fact that it ran smack dab up against a national park

saying goodbye to Yvonne, a fabulous, kind hearted person same as Garry. They're more than glad to have people stop so look for Garry on Horizons Unlimited, you'll always be welcomed

Next Up: a tour of the pyramids

Slowphil screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 03:28 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote