View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #53
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
before we get to the pyramids here's a quick rundown on the hotels I've inhabited in Mexico taken from S Bakkers book as requested

Monclova - Nuevo Hotel Viena - old, rundown, easy to find with secure parking - actually not bad for the price, was glad to find it to get out of the rain

Parras - Posado Bravo - clean, well maintained, average hotel but pretty, I really liked it,everybody was really nice and helpful and I found some one there spoke english for the first time in Mexico.

Durango - not in Bakkers book but Hotel Catedral Plaza - right down town, little run down and room was stuffy with no window, clean and secure parking for moto. I'd stay again just for location

Magdelena - Hotel El Opalo - right downtown, old fashioned but clean, secure parking, ask for second floor, beautiful balcony to sit, post and drink beer

Tequila - Hotel Tequila - easy to find, secure parking, clean and neat, renovated, handy to zocolo, was comfortable there

Guadalajara - Hotel Estacion - easy to get to, newly renovated, clean, secure parking. Far from downtown but 6 pesos and 8 min on bus take care of that

Toluca - Hotel San Diego - closed

Mexico City - I'm throwing this in for free - Garry and Yvonne Dymonds house - great people, friendly and really helpful. Garry will come out and lead you in. They really like having people stay and take care of you. Garry has droll sense of humour. get in touch on Horizons Unlimited

Puebla - Hotel Catedral - let me be polite - how anybody can have a filthy hovel as a hotel for 30 years and still be in business I'll never know. I found the place disgusting, the mattress was so beaten you were laying on the slats underneath. Gets 1/8 of a star for not having bedbugs and cockroaches, oh yeah keeps the rain off your head but thats just my opinion

So far thats the only hotel I don't agree with Bakker on

Generally - in 2012 you'll find prices have added a hundred in pesos in 2 years also if you want to use GPS to guide you you'll have to google the addresses beforehand to get them exactly, Bakkers are not intended for GPS directions which he'll freely admit

good luck with these
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote