Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
I'm in Jjim. Keep 'em honest.
Thnx fer join'n.... Buddy!

As I'm riding back to the camp I see this billboard on a little backroad and laugh to myself... probably the families son posing...

Then it's another excellent night around the campfire with the gang in the Northwoods solitude....

Sorry I'm still not quite back on my picture taking game at this point.

Before ya know it it's daylight again...

And time to head for Lewiston with NomadGal (Esther), there we'll do some more maintenance on the bikes.. then she's gonna ride down to Moab with me to put faces to names at the KLRWorld gathering and some more riding in the Desert.

Norris say'n goodbye outta his Turbocharged Polaris...

Before we know it... were the last ones in camp and it's the begining of multi week joint oddysey for Spirit and Desiree'...

We meander down to Lewiston on the back roads and I take a few miles of dirt to help get Esther used to it....

Turns out till yesterday she had NEVER ridden ANY dirt sooo she was still TERRIFIED! You can see she's pretty focused here...

Soon we're pulling into the yard and Micks there to meet us... He's grown a bit form last year and I'm excited to work with him some more.

Esther starts in on her bike as it's started to making some PRETTY loud noises between Diamond lake and here!

Lotsa crap in the oil too....

As she rips into Spirit... Wayne is tearing into his Baja...

MANY long nights insue...

Valve adjustments, tire swap, oil-air filter swaps, and suspension tuning on Desiree'...

ALOT more on Spirit... we pull the engine planning to just get her another... pull the swingarm for some welding, add bark busters, new grips, new mirrors, throttle lock, new front tire, 2" Rox riser, try to straighten the rims (which leads me to find TOTALY SHOT rear bearings AND a missing spacer between the sprocket drive and wheel hub) I know I'm forgeting a BUNCH but needless to say we did A $hitload!

Wayne teaching her how to use the Plasma cutter for a new kickstand foot...

Spirits spirit on the floor...

Three projects going on at once...

Busy....

Sometimes in the frenzy we would find time to eat...

We had ordered Esther a fresh low mile engine with only 420 miles on it from an '09.... it was spendy but I figured with her just starting a Trans Continental ride she would need it. Sooo we waited and waited....... but it never showed???? Nomad convinces me to do some checking and we find out that during my checkout with paypal I had somehow put in my PENNSYLVANIA address??!!??!!??!! aaaaah $hit!!!
Well lets rethink this.............. I call and cancel the engine and give away $300- for my mistake. Yup as my buddy Nicks Granpa us'd ta say "They cost ya either Time, Money or Your life" this was only money sooo onto the rebuild.

We have a PowWow and Wayne and I put our heads together and figure something simple is causing Spirits noises not something Catastophic like at first thought. So we re-install the engine and pull all the outer covers off... (we have lotsa spare gaskets in my parts kitty WooooooHooooo)
Long story short we find a stuck cam chain tensioner (which doesn't let it tighten up) , a bound up Torsion spring on the balancer chain (which doesn't let it tighten up either) and some valves way outta spec... we fix everything and the noise is................................ GONE!!!! YeeHaa

So we continue to button her up and prepare to roll out to Moab... by now we're running a little late! But this is when I find the loose wheel bearings (on the floor loose!) and missing spacer, as I'm trying to straighten the wheel .
I get an Idea to go next door to Bobby's and rob one off his KLR250...

It's a l m o s t the same just too long.... sooo John comes over, points out Waynes lathe hidden in back (Hey why didn't I see that??? )
and fixes us up...

Aaaah betttta nestled into its place... we're outta the woods.

I quick build a plate for her GPS using a RAM mount I had in the parts bin... (it flops all over)

And we're off...

She's still learning to pack light LOL...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 08:35 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote