My rotor was a real bugger to remove, even with the BMW tool. I was heating up the hub as described in the manual, with an electric heat gun and the tool would tighten to the point of buggering up the thread on the end of it, but still it wouldn't budge so I got out the propane torch.
I didn't like having to use an open flame but I was getting desperate at that point. But it worked anyway! I was tightening down the tool and finally I heard a crack, and the rotor started to move.
The rotor really is much more open, so hopefully I won't need to go through this again, on this bike anyway.
Here's a comparison of the new and old rotors.
Old on the left/top; new on the right/bottom.