Ugh. This is my failed stator. 76,000 kms on the bike.
Had the engine open for the last couple of days, having received the upgraded BMW parts, a flywheel puller, and a gasket. I made my own crankshaft locator screw. Sure would have been easier to do this job if I just replaced the stator but my mechanic said to do both the stator and rotor, as they're matched.
I found Loctite 620 for the rotor in town. (The Haynes manual lists Loctite 648 but apparently 648 is no longer, and 620 is the replacement).
My rotor was a real bugger to remove, even with the BMW tool. I was heating up the hub as described in the manual with an electric heat gun and the tool would tighten to the point of buggering up the thread on the end of it, but still it wouldn't budge so I got out the propane torch.
I didn't like having to use an open flame but I was getting desperate at that point. But it worked! I was tightening down the tool and finally I heard a crack, and the rotor started to move.
The rotor really is much more open, so hopefully I won't need to go through this again, on this bike anyway. My wife's F650GS twin has 78,000, so you never know... At least I know how to do it now.
Here's a comparison of the new and old rotors.
Old on the left; new on the right.
This is the crank locating tool I made up.