View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Next morning after breakfast it was time for a coffee and a ziggy in Baton Rouge's backgarden.

The days ride was to be the tank-route. During the 2. world war there was a big battle in the Ardennes in 1944, the battle of the bulge. The area is packed with war memorials and as a curiosity there's several tanks from the battle placed around in the area. Tom was to be the guide today, and we sat out riding through small villages.

We stopped here for a coffee,

to the sound of a small waterfall right next to us.

We arrived at the first tank,

with this war memorial placed next to it.

Unfortunately Tom had forgotten to turn off gravel- and dirtroads on his GPS, so suddently we found ourselves on a forest-track.

Team rrr, Tom to the left, Kox in the middle and me to the right.

We looked at the beautiful views here,

before we continued.

The track got worse and worse, a gravel-track with fistfull size loose gravel, and continious ascends/descends on 10-15%. None of us took any pic's as we were far too occupied with the riding. Near the end it got really bad with a very slippery muddy section still with ascends/descends. It was contra-steering every 5 meters or so to keep the bikes going. Stopping was not an option. My traction control really worked overtime with red and yellow lights flashing on my dashboard
I was soaked right through with sweat from battling 240 kg's of a 1200RT, treating it like an off roader. Same story for the 2 other guys. Out on the tarmac again we rode in at the first tank-station to get out of the riding gear, cool off and drink some much needed coca cola.
Next to the tank-station there was a car repair shop, and we borrowed his steam-cleaner to wash the bikes. A 1200 GS or a KTM might look tough all covered in mud, but defenitly not a RT or one of the other road bikes.
We went on to the next tank.

On through this nice landscape.

We had lunch here. 5 minutes after we sat down they started the bastard yellow machine to the right, and that accompanied us for the rest of the lunch

On through green gently rolling hills with cows. That's got to be one of my lasting impressions of the Ardennes, rolling green hills with cows. That was everywhere, nice!

Reaching the next tank.

In the town La roche-en-Ardenne there was an impressive medieval castle,

and also a tank.

Afterwards we sat down at the river you see here, watching life go by and drinking some water.

Enjoyed the ride,

untill we reached the last tank of the day.

My riding buddies, here Tom,

and Kox.

There was 2 things left to see on the route, and that turned out to be cannons.

Another war memorial,

with a cannon behind it.

Back home at Baton Rouge, Ben the owner sitting to the right, sat out on the veranda with us drinking a beer, while his wife Hetty made a wonderful dinner for us. We were the only 3 staying there at the time, it was cozy.

And then a good dinner.

When dinner was over it was time for a few beers more to accompany our smalltalk, before we went to bed after a good exciting day.

panzerrocket screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 05:07 AM
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote