View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
The preparation
Finally moving onto Canada I made preparations for buying my bike. This lead to my first official contact with the online motorcycle community through the Horizons unlimited website. It was here I made contact with the delightful and extraordinarily helpful and encouraging Sara and Dan, who are preparing for a RTW trip on BMW’s (www.worldwideride.ca). After a few brief emails with Sara expressing my concern about my height (or lack of it), and my ideal motorbike choice (the BMW 650), I went to try her bike on for size. I found while wearing her two inch healed boots from Daytona, on her lowered BMW F650GS twin, I had my feet flat on the ground. Brilliant! So I promptly went out and bought the shoes, and a second hand (not lowered) BWM F650GS 2004 single and spent the next year trying to get used to the height. Shaking my head at my stupidity I went hand got a custom lowered seat made by Rick on the Olympic peninsula, and later I bit the bullet, and put in a 1 in’ suspension lowering link. Sara and Dan continued to supplement my poor planning and research abilities, and have become wonderful friends who have helped immensely in the preparation of this trip, with much needed advice, encouragement and friendship.
A wonderful friend of a friend, Clifford from Scotland, came to stay on my couch while he was travelling in Canada. My bike out the front turned the conversation to bikes. We discovered our commonalties; he had ridden the Pan American in 2002, with Geoff Clark. He had also been a TT racer, and winner ‘back in the good old days’ and my time on the Isle of Man was another link. He introduced me to the stories of the road, through the work of Ted Simons. Inspirational.
The horizons meet up in Nukesp in August was an awesome reinforcement that this trip was not simply a crazy idea, but a perfect idea. It was brilliant to meet other solo women adventurers, and talk with people who knew more about bikes than me -which was pretty much all of them ;) The 10 hour bike ride home, that had me simply buzzing with excitement, confirming that motorcycling was the right choice for me.

Over the year, meeting the wonderful Marcin/ 'Huzar' further introduced me to the world of the online motorbike communities. Our bike trip from Seattle to California reinforced the joys of this. Taken out to explore the taco trucks, by fellow Adv member ‘No miles,’ and treated to a lovely Easter dinner and night of hosting by the wonderful ‘Mista Vern’ and his wife, confirmed that ‘Yes things would be alright’ on this trip. The world is full of wonderful people.

Untitled by hewby2, on Flickr

The whole way down to California I had been cursing how hard it had been to take photos while riding, having to stop, then take off gloves, when really during these moments of beauty, all you want to do is ride and enjoy it. After seeing my cousin arrive in Oakland, after winning his 8th leg of the Clipper Yacht Race around the world, Rich put me onto the lovely Hunter Clark from GoPro who gave me a better way to document my adventures, a GoPRo hero. So I have been enjoying being able to take shots while on the go and in the rain, and am working out my mounting system to make the most of the fish eye lens.

The riding through the snowy passes and the crazy rain however convinced me that my old gear would have to be replaced and improved –so I purchased a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves, a Revit venture suit, and a new Nolan helmet… It was easier to buy whilst I was still working, rather than later when money equals time on the road.… I am still not sure how long I plan to be out there…. 11 months? Two years? I flip back and forth as life’s responsibilities present themselves, and the possibilities of the trip expand and contract like a males excited appendage facing icy water. Ah the fickle nature of my mind. So in that my only plan of the trip is to head North to Prudhoe Bay, until l can head north no more, then South along the spine of the Americas until I can head South no more. Except maybe by boat to Antarctica… which would be nice. But then, anything can happen. So basically trying to plan not to plan, and to simply take it as it comes, as much as visa’s and finance allows…

Hewby screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 10:47 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote