View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175

California Pass was incredible. No trees, just a ton of talus. Some tricky switchbacks, but we stayed on the throttle and came through without incident.

Uh oh. Yep, that's all my damping oil draining out of the fork leg into my brake caliper. I hear brakes work better when you lube them. This happened at the top of Hurricane Pass above Silverton. No choice but to idle it down the pass into Silverton.

No service center in Silverton, so we call the KTM dealer in Durango only to find that they're closed Mondays, which will be tomorrow. Another call to a service center in Montrose yields better results so we jump on the Million Dollar Highway to Montrose. It's a beautiful section of road and was well worth the detour, even if my bike was handling like there was an elephant riding on the handlebars.

Ouray is a pretty little place wedged in the mountains.

We camped at Black Canyon Of The Gunnison Nat'l Park for the night. It was beautiful, but we were both pretty worried about the prospects of getting the bike fixed and continuing the trip.

Upon a more relaxed inspection of the fork, I realized that the stanchion was pulling out of the cast axle/brake mount lower. I'm a bike mechanic in my free time and in the bike world, that's a pressfit joint that can't be fixed, so we go to bed concerned that we may well be home a lot sooner than intended. We hope that the service center will have good news for us.

Before we turn in, we watch the evening ranger program about the most common local wildlife, the smaller of which can often be found smushed on the asphalt or stealing your trail mix.

Mileage: 158
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote