Thread: New to Oman
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 100
More About Oman

Hi Joe,

Richeyroo gives good advice. Just a few additional tips based on my experiences in Oman.

If you are based down in Sur, you may not find much of a market there for motorcycles. There are dealers in Muscat (Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha...not sure about Suzuki at this point, no BMW, no Triumph, no Ducati, no KTM). There is also a fair used market, with the main sources being the Dubizzle web site, the notice boards at Al Fair supermarkets in Muscat, and word of mouth. Only the Harley dealer seems to offer used bikes, and then only cruisers/choppers, if any.

Prices for motorcycles in Oman tend to be higher than US for new ones, and similar to US for used. Availability of certain makes and models is limited or nonexistent, so don't get fixated on a particular bike. An alternative is to go to Dubai where selection is 10 times greater. I bought a Moto Guzzi Stelvio there and had it transported to Oman for a reasonable price, and there is very low import duty because the countries are both part of "GCC".

If you buy a bike in Oman, chances are it will be emissions approved for Europe and not the US. So you can't ship it back to the US. That makes buying a used one a more sensible approach.

I ride with various guys here in Muscat. There is a Harley oriented club if you're into the weekend pirate lifestyle. I am not aware of another organized group.

As for the visa situation, you should insist that your wife's sponsor also get you a spouse visa. You can't renew that tourist visa indefinitely.

Enjoy your time here!
phoenixdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote