View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Going North

The ‘practice trip’ with me on the bike and my parents in a the chase car, covered over 15,000km taking 6 weeks, up Vancouver Island and the inside passage of BC to Prince Rupert, out to Haida Gawaii and then back on the ferry up to Haines Alaska. From there, an inland route from Haines junction to Tok to the fantastic motorbike park run by Vanessa, then down to Anchorage and onto the amazing road to Seward. Denali was covered in clouds and passing rain so I headed solo for the sun over Prudhoe Bay. The road was in fabulous conditions, and a simply stunning ride to the end of the earth.

Wohoo! by hewby2, on Flickr

The End of the road, Deadhorse, Alaska by hewby2, on Flickr

The 1.30am crash, while looking for camp, The Dalton Highway by hewby2, on Flickr

The bike was holding up well, apart from the chain tension plate that ripped off, as did its replacement part, leaving me tensioning by bashing the chain with a block of wood!

Second broken chain tension plate by hewby2, on Flickr

On the way south we passed by Tok again, and then over to Dawson city via the magic top of the world highway.
Top of the world Highway, The Yukon by hewby2, on Flickr

Down through Whitehorse and along the Cassier highway to the beautiful Stewart and Hyder to visit the amazing Salmon glacier.
Salmon Glacier, Hyder by hewby2, on Flickr

Heading towards the Canadian Rockies almost the first real rain of the trip set in. As I had traveled through here a year before, I decided again to split from my parents and make the 1100km dash back to Seattle to surprise Marcin for his birthday. After a delightful catch up and trip to Montana and Lolo pass,
Lolo pass, Idaho by hewby2, on Flickr

I rejoined my parents in Glacier national park and rode the spectacular Going to the sun road.

Going to the sun road, Glacier National Park by hewby2, on Flickr

This was the last of their tour and we headed back to Seattle where they caught the plane back to Australia. I sold the support car and prepared the bike to set off alone down through the USA and into Central and South America.

For more Photos use; http://www.flickr.com/photos/7997347...7631520965934/