View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #69
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I am sure all these lowering kits are nothing more than shorter springs, using the same internal cartridges and valving.

If the spring weight is not an issue, you can achieve the same on the F800 front by just removing the spacer. I do not remember the exact length of it, but at least an inch long. At long as the spring extends from the tube top at full droop, it won't be rattling along. Doing that removes most of the spring preload. Your bike will set lower in front.

When I was fiddling with the forks, I did that with aftermarket springs. I settled on a shorter spacer with a heavier spring.

There is a post on cutting the rear spring in order to lower it. It does not take much.

Not as easy as plug and play but certainly cheaper.

Does anyone know what the spring weight is for these shorter springs? I think the stock springs are too light for average riders. Making/supplying similar weight springs shorter will only make the problem worse for some people.

I did not like the original seat. Too tall and uncomfortable. I took the cover off and carved on the foam. An electric carving knife and an orbital sander, got the contour I wanted and resulted in about 3/4" of height removed. Being flatter and wider it is fairly confortable after a few years of sitting on it.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 12:18 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote