Originally Posted by DRONE
Nice looking rig, Dave! I like it when guys put in a little extra effort on the paint. There's no reason a rig can't look good and run good too!
Any chance you got some close-up pics of the work you did to the A-arm? And can you explain how shortening one side 3/4" and lengthening the other side 3/4" changes the trail because I can't picture it in my mind.
Think of it this way : a straight line through the two ball joints(one at each fork clamp) too the ground is your steering head tube angle or frame head tube angle (telelevers don't have head tubes), moving the lower ball joint back steepens that angle changing the trail.Trail being the difference between where that line touches the ground and a line dropped from the axle center line touches the ground.
Lengthening the lower clamp leaves the fork at the stock angle and just steepen the steering head angle. It works well, Claude liked it, we used parts off ebay the R1100 would be even easier due to the way it attaches to the fork sliders.Given I'm retired and help out in a welding shop all winter it was way cheaper and allowed me a Stroker rear wheel budget wise.After steeriting the 83gl1100/ural setup I tried last year(worked great) I didn't like the way it lowered an already too low a bike.
Had I not sunk the front,and dragged the oil sump in a frost patch on a gravel road early this spring, I'd still have that bike.DB
You'd never know the telelever had changed they're not usually black powder coat, and the profile of the bike is exactly the same thanks to Twintwin who I noticed had an r1100gs with the mod done by Dedone a French sidecar builder discussing it in another advrider thread.Thanks Didier !