View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #128
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 841
The heat finally arrives!

Well, I wont say it's been a bad summer, but heat didn't really kick in until the weekend of August 5th. I decided it would be a good opportunity to head up island. I went out to the Alberni Valley, and explored some of the lakes and trails north of Great Central Lake. It hit about 33 Degrees Celcius when I was there, and only dropped to about 18 at night! It is probably the first time I have camped out on the Island and have not woken up to have my tent completely soaked in dew. It was real nice out there.

IMG_1985

IMG_1989

I did get in kind of late, took a left, took a right, and BAM! perfect camping spot on a lake with a wharf! Nice find! Just enough time for some beer and fishing! Locals might recognize the airplane on the bottle. It's a picture of one of the Martin Mars water bombers based out of nearby Sproat Lake. They were built in WW2 as transports, and are the largest flying boats in the world. As a kid I used to see them flying over Lake Cowichan to pick up water for local forest fires when things got dry.

IMG_1997

Morning wildlife.

IMG_2022

IMG_2035

IMG_2038

Fished for a while, saw them swimming by, but no such luck. Headed for the hills to see what I could see before heading home.

IMG_2117

IMG_2118

Great Central Lake

Looks like I'm above Great Central! Still don't own a GPS..... Why bother?

IMG_2124

IMG_2125

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 09:13 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote