View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Friday Departure

Plans for leaving on Friday continue. Bike is packed and ready to go.

Here it is ready to go.

I am using the Pelican Storm case on the rear. The only things on the outside are a bike cover and my walking shoes for when I am off the bike.

On the front is a Wolfman tank bag (I forget the exact model) and my tank panniers from Aerostitch.

In the tank bag are a the more accesible items including an MP3 player, spanish dictionary (although my Spanish is really coming along), leatherman tool, etc.

The left pannier is mostly empty for use when I want to pick up something (lunch, drinks, a gift, etc.) while out riding. At the moment it has a book and toilet paper, and some empty plastic bags for trash that may accumulate.

In the right pannier are my riding gloves (when I am not riding), a packable backpack (in case I need to get groceries or for walking around town), sunscreen, and a spare oil filter.

I also have (but it is difficult to see) a dirt bagz headlight bag with just some basic tools and holding some chain lube. The front fender bag has tire repair items (such as irons, puncture kit, etc.) along with a spare 16t front sprocket to change in another few thousand miles and spare front brake pads as those might need to be changed on this trip as well.

I will also not (in case anyone notices) that I have the Keintech simple stand on the bike. The "bars" for this are held on next to my tank panniers with some old innertube rubber through them to hold them in place. I have put about 800 miles with them in this position and they stay just fine.

I decided to use that instead of adding a centerstand. That was based on weight and cost considerations. I do abuse the DR650 in the mountains of Colorado and would rather not have the added weight or lack of clearance of a centerstand. The simple stand does make lubing the chain a lot easier, though than nothing.