Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #118
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That's not how it works.

You need to differentiate between upside down and conventional forks:

50mm Extremes are conventional, so both upper and lower triple clamps clamp to the 50mm slider/stanchion (the chrome part on top).

The 4860 are USDs that use a 48mm slider (the chrome part on the bottom). Their upper tube/stanchion measures 60mm where the bottom triple clamp clamps to and 54mm on top.

Clear as mud?
Thanks for the quick reply. I understood the USD vs conventional thing (oh yeah, duh, I get where the confusion is there, 48mm stantion, 60mm tube), but a clamp is a clamp, right, just gotta hold it tight? Anyway, doesn't matter for those measurements, my idea is bunk if the top is 54. I wouldn't mind using a 5mm collar, but a 2mm one is just too thin for front fork stress, and I'd like to have at least one of the clamps directly on the fork tubes. Sorry, just trying to get 2 for one but thanks for setting me straight.

Although, if you'll humor me for one more question, how much would you trust a 5mm bottom AND a 2mm top, machined aluminum collar (with a compression gap of course) to hold a set of 50mm conventionals in set of 4860 triples?

naginalf screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:57 AM
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote