View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #218
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Hey Woody, how many times can you hammer a rim straight in the same spot?

I know that's completely subjective and speculative, but...it is the F800 forum. Subjective speculation is what we do.

I've had enough dings where you can clearly see about 50mm to 80mm of the bead. If I deflate the tyre, and sit the wheel on a large flat wooden surface (my work bench) then use the plastic faced hammer and beat the bent section down until it's more or less parallel again.

I've done this enough that there isn't a 200mm section of rim on either side that hasn't been straightened, and some sections have had 2 or 3 goes and have obviously work hardened as they get harder to straighten. It's no longer officially "round" in any real sense of the word. Octagonal is the term I use.

So what's the professional's advice? Am I dicing with death and dismemberment? Or will it crack and show obvious signs of abuse before things go bad?

I realise the width of the rim is the prime culprit in the ease in which they ding. How come I can't get Excels or others in anything wider than 1.6 inch? SM Pro do a 1.85 I think, but trying to get one locally has proved a quest like the search for the Holy Grail. People advertise that they do them, but I've commissioned 2 wheel builds, given them credit card details, and never heard from them again.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote