View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #58
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallen View Post
I was thinking about SPOT and will definitely get one when I go to South America. This time I knew exactly where I'm going to be at any given time. Only one place was troubling me and I took all the precautions to be found.
Btw, I didnít know I can text from SPOT. How much is this service? I know that full SAR support and the route tracking for 1 year can cost about $119.00.

So, to actually buy the device is anywhere between $120 - $170. However, just like protective gear, how much is your head worth, and in this case, how much is your life worth?

The basic Tracking is $50 a year.
For "Type and Send" options, texting, the price varies:
Bundled 500 msgs, $50.00/yr
Bundled 100 msgs $30.00/yr
or
.50 cents a message

In my humble opinion, for my safety, safety of others I may be traveling with, I think this little gadget is worth it's weight in gold. Being able to text my wife and let her know I'm A-OK is a big relief to her.

As well, if I get into a situation where I need help, I can text her to get ahold of the right people, and the text message has my GPS location attached to the text as well.

There are other options as well...
http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote